BrewLog 26052017: Brann's Breakfast Stout



A slightly delayed write up of my latest batch 'Brann's Breakfast Stout' which was actually brewed last Friday 26th May.
Why/What is a breakfast stout?

A breakfast Stout is brewed with flaked oats, chocolate and coffee, which can also have lactose (giving a creamy milky mouthfeel) with the stout smelling like a freshly brewed coffee.

The reason why I brewed it was a combination of things, 1 was that my Dad and I tried various stouts (see 'Beer Research' posts) and I thought I should try to recreate/use ideas from ones Ive tried or looked into for my own brew. Using element's from Founder's Breakfast Stout, Brewdog''s Jet Black Heart and Dead Metaphor - Brann's Breakfast Stout was born!



So along came the brew day.

Opening and transferring the malts to my malt basket, they smelt delicious like a malty chocolatey cappuccino.

Mashed at 67c for 75mins stirring at 20 then 40 mins. I actually overshot my mash temps so had to put some cool water in to reduce temps to required target.

During the mash the smell was of strong filter coffee.












I mashed out for 15 mins then let the grains drain while I heated the pot to boiling.











Added Magnum hops at 60 then Sorachi Ace at 15 with the wort chiller and 1/2 a brite wort tablet.




Lactose went in 5 mins later. The coffee and cacao went in at flameout, leaving
for 15 mins before chilling.











I prechilled my cool brewing bag with 9.5l of frozen water bottles  during the coffee/chocolate stand and chilling.







After 5 days in the fermentor the hydro reading is 1.030 down from 1.054.

I'll wait a few more days before I add some extra coffee and cacao.
Samples have been tasting good; roasted malts, coffee leaving the mouth with with slightly creamy, the body is quite full and much fuller than something like Jet Black Heart that I found lacked some body.









Until next time.......Happy Brewing





Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

2 comments:

  1. Just read the keg test and this post about your breakfast stout, looks great! Looking forward to the recipe, keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many thanks Neil, Im really happy how the Stout turned out. So much so I've got ideas around Christmas to do a spilt batch, 1/2 with orange peel & the other with bourbon chips.

    The recipe is now under the beers section of my blog.
    I'll be posting a little update about the Stout in the next few days aswell as info on my latest Brew.

    ReplyDelete